May 16, 2018
WorkSafe BC Review
The provincial government has announced a full review of the BC workers’ compensation system to “become more worker centred”.
The review will be conducted by retired labour lawyer Janet Patterson and will assess:
- The system’s policies and practices that support injured workers’ return to work;
- WorkSafeBC’s current policies and practices through a gender- and diversity-based analysis;
- Modernization of WorkSafeBC’s culture to reflect a worker-centric service delivery model;
- The case management of injured workers; and
- Any potential amendments to the Workers Compensation
Act arising from this focused review.
- The province will be conducting a public engagement process to “to ensure that Patterson’s review is informed by feedback from employers, labour organizations and injured workers.”
- BCCA and COCA will work together to ensure the industry is adequately represented
- The report and recommendations will be delivered to government by September 30, 2019.